Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Third of May, May the Fourth, and yesterday

Hey! how was your weekend? Good? That's good. I thought I might write a quick something to help keep things up to date.

Three days ago it was the third of May, so here's a photo of Goya's 1814 painting, The Third of May 1808, drawn by me as a pretend "It's moments like these you need..." Minties wrapper cartoon.
Moments like these, (After Goya). Acrylic on paper and ceramic. 2012.

The piece has since been bought by the awesome Melbourne artist and past VCA teacher of mine, Lou Hubbard. Here we are on the day I delivered it to her office.
(Lou is pictured with the wrapper drawing in one hand and the Mintie sculpture in her other, meanwhile I'm just eating a real Mintie.)Oh also, this photo was taken just before Christmas, hence the stylish hat that's falling off my head. 

But so yeah, last Saturday was the Third of May, which thanks to Goya is a day that reminds us of the Peninsula War, between France and Spain, and so then obviously the day after the third of May is May the Fourth, which thanks to George Lucas is a day that reminds us of the Star War, between the Rebels and the evil Empire.

A long, long time ago, (when I was about 10 years old), in galaxy far, far away, (at Upper Ferntree Gully Primary School), Star Wars was my whole world. I was thinking about this last Sunday and it made me want to dig up a drawing slash painting thing I remembered doing of Boba Fett all the way back in 1999, when I was in grade five. 

The fourth was strong in me when I drew this, although it's a shame I must've left it outside at some point because the fourth was clearly strong in the rain as well, which seems to have blotched the image quite a bit.
Boba Fett. Connector pen and acrylic on cardboard box lid. 20 x 35 x 1.5cm. 1999.

I did the drawing on the lid to the box that I keep my Star Wars figures in. Looking at it today I can't believe I never realised how similar this lid is to a canvas. I guess I didn't even know what a canvas was back then. 

But so ok, just because May The Fourth Be With You ended Sunday night it doesn't mean that all the Star Wars fun has to stop, remember you can still head on down to NEW14 at ACCA and check out my sculpture of Chewy.
Gum. 1.5 x 1cm. Acrylic on ceramic. 2014.

Ha, and finally in other news I've got a little update on a photo that I included in a blog post last Thursday. 

Here's the photo, in case you missed it.
So on the weekend I tweeted this photo along with the same explanation that I included in the blog post; 
I like to imagine that the six inches on the left of her sub is Veggie Delight and the six inches on the right is Meatball.
In reply to the tweet one of my twitter friends tweeted me saying "It's Victor Victoria from @eastendcaberet", and sure enough she was right, just check out @eastendcaberet's most recent twit-pic for all the proof you could ever need.
Since then I've watched all of her (and her cabaret partner Bernadette Byrne's) youtube videos and become a big fan, and then yesterday I tweeted to them asking if I was right about the sub, to which they replied; 
Pretty amazing hey?! Ha, we sure have come a long way since the Peninsula War of 1808, and a long, long way since the days of stormtroopers. 

Anyway it's moments like these I need to finish up the blog post, thanks heaps for reading, hope you're having a fully sixth day.

No comments:

Post a Comment